Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Solo Trip in Algonquin

A mid-November solo trip. The fine line
between water and ice!

It has been almost a month since my last trip. I was itching like crazy to go. (if you don't already know, I have been diagnosed with a disease - canoeitis ;)) I wanted to go earlier but too much was going on and I couldn't get away. Well, I finally managed to put a little time together to head out. I also wasn't able to get out on a solo trip this year, so here was a chance. (Lisa couldn't go and I didn't have people knocking on the door to go with me.) It was supposed to be a relatively easy 3 day jaunt in Algonquin, but boy was I wrong! My upper body is sore as hell, my joints are achy, the balls of my feet are really tender, and my upper lip has suffered wind burn and very mild frostbite (I can barely feel it - I can already hear the jokes!). Was it worth it? You be the judge when I write about it. One thing for sure, it has sated my desire to canoe....we'll, at least for now. (I secretly still want to head out again - it really is incurable!!!)

tPP

PS. I sincerely apologize, but I won't be blogging on the Bloodvein trip for a while. I've already been asked to give a presentation with possibly others to follow, including the possibility of writing articles so I have to hold off for now. I do have tons of other stuff to write about so I assure you that won't stop. But I have to apologize profusely if you were expecting more posts on the Bloodvein. I think based on how things are going, (like it did with the Romaine River trip) I may have to delay writing about my big trips until the following year. Sorry!



4 comments:

Gina Thompson said...

Where in Algonquin did you canoe?

Unknown said...

I started from Canoe Lake, up the chain of Joe Lakes all the way up to Sunbeam Lake and then back down through Tom Thomson, Teepee Lake and of course Canoe Lake.

Anonymous said...

I missed you by a week, Nov 10th I spend just a day. Up canoe lake to the cairn, back down and through to Tea lake up Smoke creek and pulled out at Smoke Lake, a nice seven mile paddle, and NO-ONE was around!
Best time of the year.

Unknown said...

I never thought to the do the round trip, even though I have paddled through Tea Lake and Smoke Lake many times. Something to consider in the future! I agree, best time of year considering how busy this place gets. Although, I wasn't the only one out then. Saw another canoe on Joe Lk and found out 2 others left the same morning I did, but was coming back a day later.