Thursday, November 17, 2011

The Event - Part 2

Anita taking the time to marvel at the scenery

I found out long ago you can't judge a book by its cover. Despite the fact we are all familiar with this saying, we often are still quick to jump to conclusions, like I did with Anita. Quite frankly, I never expected we could or would be compatible in any way, let alone roughing it in the bush on a canoe trip. So of course when she agreed to head out on a canoe trip with me, I had my doubts and was skeptical. Although, I was sincerely appreciative that she was willing to go at all, so I made attempts to make her introduction as reasonably comfortable as possible. As mentioned in my last blog, the first trip did have some hardships, but Anita thankfully wasn't totally turned off.

Luckily for me (and my friends), as the year progressed, Anita agreed to head out on more trips. Despite her inexperience in less than glamorous conditions, she handled it well. Her skills slowly improved with each trip and more importantly, she actually enjoyed being out there. In the few times we got to trip together, we surprisingly also found each other. Did you know that canoe trips can be a great environment for finding someone? You are forced to get to know each other, deal with a myriad of conditions, both good and bad, and lastly figure out whether you are compatible or not, both as canoe partners or as friends. Unexpectedly, I found both. It was then we decided to date.

Many times in our lives, we are confronted with situations that elicit a higher form of mental processing than just thought processes alone. It's called gut-feeling. It's hard to fathom how or why we feel a particular way, but something intangible is at play. Well, only after 3 months of dating Anita, I felt and knew things were very 'right'. I couldn't believe it myself, but I honestly was ready to move to the next stage! (Yes, I know some of you will be quite shocked reading this!) I had no hesitations, questions, or even doubts, other than just the anxiety of popping the actual question. Maybe it was a combination of turning 40, FINALLY knowing what I wanted, being ready, etc. Most importantly, I think it was the mere fact that I met the right person.


Anita became not only a paddler,
but a good friend as well

In mid-September, Anita and I were finally going to get the chance to head out on a canoe trip together - alone. Wanting to seize this opportunity, it was literally days before the trip that I decided I was going to propose. With very little time to figure how I was going to do it, let alone get a ring, I was beside myself. I finally picked a route in Temagami and decided I was going to propose atop the highest point in Ontario, Ishpatina Ridge. (Ironic as September is my favourite month to paddle and Temagami is my favourite paddling destination.) The only problem, no ring. What would I propose to her with?! Consumed by this thought, I had a few restless nights prior to the trip. What was I going to do?


2 comments:

Gina Thompson said...

Ahhh! I was proposed to on a Temagami paddle trip! Good call! My husband also did not have a ring.... but he proposed on Diamond Lake. So he said something to the effect of: "I don't have a ring, but I do have this beautiful lake for you!"

It really couldn't have been more wonderful. What could be more romantic and glorious than popping the question out on the lakes.

Anxiously awaiting Part 3.....

~ g

Unknown said...

Wow! You were proposed to in Temagami as well?! Awesome! And how fitting was that, on Diamond Lake! (It is a beautiful lake too.)

I just found out 2 other couples got proposed to on canoe trips in Algonquin, one just this year! I love it!

Part 3 should be out by Monday.

Cheers,
David